Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Drawing Music :: Massive Attack

Went to see the dinosaurs at Terminal 5 yesterday, Massive Attack.
Martina Topley Bird opened the night with such a sweet, lighter-than-air solo performance, that just THAT alone was worth the high ticket price. Here she is-such a doll!

 drawn on my iPhone

The second opening act was Anti-Pop Consortium. I think it was my first encounter with live hip-hop. Not my cup of tea, but fun to draw!

 drawn on my iPhone


And finally, around 10 pm, it was time for the headliners!

 drawn on my iPhone

It was massive, allright. With an unexpected, massively political slant. Huge LED screens that wrapped around the stage flashed facts about casualties in Gaza, quotes on freedom and activism, criticism of American policies...Given the intensity of their music and the messages in their lyrics, this added facet was a bitter cherry on top. The show, however, was a WOW. Standing right under the stage made me appreciate the depth of sound and truly fantastic live performance...

 drawn on my iPhone

 drawn on my iPhone 


Check out my friend's interesting review of the show, where he discusses the political aspect of this performance and what it means to him: 
Sasha Malchik's Musicians' Politics - How would you take it?

1 comment: