"Human Beings Will Never Be Illegal"
|Rally under the Triumph of the Human Spirit Sculpture in Foley Square.|
|Hebh Jamal under the Triumph of the Human Spirit Sculpture|
"Nothing in the world
is more dangerous
than sincere ignorance
and conscientious stupidity."
- Martin Luther King Jr.
|Freedom Tower was in attendance as well.|
|Marching towards the Immigration Court|
|26 Federal Plaza building that houses the Immigration Court.|
The great thing is that people - especially young people - are getting involved like never before. Women are running for local governments, volunteering in communities is on the rise, donations are pouring in for advocate groups like ACLU. Below, I'm pasting something that circulated on FB the other day, for posterity.
For everyone who did something, small or big, your efforts have been successful. Because of you:
1. Federal hiring freeze is reversed for VA (Veteran Affairs).
2. Court order Partial Stay of the immigration ban for those with valid visas.
3. Green card holders can get back in country.
4. Uber pledges $3M and immigration lawyers for its drivers after #DeleteUber trends on Twitter.
5. Affordable Care Act enrollment ads are still going to air.
6. The ACLU raised $24 million over the weekend (normally $3-4 million/year).
7. HHS, EPA, USDA gag order lifted.
8. EPA climate data no longer scrubbed from website.
9. More people of different career/religious/economic/race backgrounds are considering running for political office than ever before.
10. MOST importantly, since we live in a participatory democracy, the people are engaged.
While more is needed, sometimes you have to celebrate your wins.
Stay vigilant, but also take self care seriously. Activist burnout is a thing. Marathon, don't sprint.